University of Tasmania has announced the name for their new performing arts hub – The Hedberg – an acknowledgement that part of the new building’s site was once the Hedberg Brothers 1925 purpose built two storey motor showroom and workshop. Only the façade of the Hedberg Garage will remain at the completion of the arts hub construction
The Hedbergs were motor engineers in Hobart in the inter-war years. Of their new 1926 premises the Hobart Mercury noted – “HEDBERG'S GARAGE. Messrs. Hedberg Bros. have removed from Brisbane Street….spacious new premises in Lower Collins Street, where general repairs are being effected and sale of the Moon cars made. There is large garage space on the ground floor, at the rear of which is situated the workshop with a showroom in front. The offices are located on the first floor”.
[Motor Notes (1926, January 23). The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), p. 6. Retrieved January 20, 2017 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article29127649
“The former Hedberg Bros. Garage is a relatively rare surviving example of an early commercial garage that retains its ability to demonstrate its use and features. (Pg.4)
…….. The loss of physical fabric with the partial demolition of the former Hedberg Garage does impact upon the significance of the place.
The proposed Academy will however bring with it an opportunity for considerable enhancement of heritage within the precinct.”(Pg. 6)
[Hobart City Council. Supporting Assessment Information. Development and Environmental Services Committee Meeting Monday 20 October 2014.
An interesting discussion of the pros and cons of partial demolition of a heritage building can be found here https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiO_fv8ms_RAhXEjJQKHa9uDwAQFggZMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hobartcity.com.au%2Ffiles%2F0abbf6b8-ab2a-4b0e-896b-a3c6010fdcd1%2F201014_Supporting_Information_-_Item_632.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEuD-xMfIgSfcPFazmK56tHZ4PFJg&sig2=rT05c7Gn_jtBUM9y0a3ThA&bvm=bv.144224172,d.dGo&cad=rja]